Saturday, November 22, 2014

Week 6: SparkNotes Reading Quiz (aka, How I Finally Beat SparkNotes!)

I have finally outsmarted SparkNotes! Throughout my career as an English teacher, SparkNotes has been the bane of my existence. Don't get me wrong... I appreciate SparkNotes as a study tool, and I even used to use it myself when I was trying to find a specific event in a book. (At this point, however, I've read books like Adventures of Huckleberry Finn and The Great Gatsby so many times that I don't have to reference SparkNotes anymore to find anything because I pretty much have the books memorized.) I tell my students at the beginning of the year that SparkNotes is fine if they are using it to help them understand what they read in the book. In the cheating activity that I do at the very beginning of the year (which I mentioned in an earlier post), I even go over the appropriate use of SparkNotes:

Scenario: For homework, Ms. Toone asked her students to read and take notes on Chapter 1 in Of Mice and Men.
  1. Joey did not have time to do any of the reading. Instead, he just copied down some notes from SparkNotes.
    1. Is this an example of cheating? Why or why not?
    2. What should Joey have done instead?
  2. Maria completed the reading and the notes. However, she wanted to make sure she completely understood what happened in the chapter. Therefore, she went to SparkNotes to make sure she didn’t miss anything. She added a few items to her notes, in her own words.
    1. Is this an example of cheating? Why or why not?


I do all this because I want my students to see that they need to actually read the assigned books, as opposed to just reading SparkNotes. I also warn them that I will catch them if they are just reading and taking notes off of SparkNotes (which they never believe even though I always have a TA who I previously had as a student in English 11 the year before, sitting in the front of the class, nodding his head in agreement as I am telling the kids I will catch them because he has first-hand experience with this). No matter how much I emphasize this point or dock students points when I see that they are just copying notes out of SparkNotes, I have never completely succeeded in getting them to read.

Last year, when I started implementing the single-question reading quiz, I told my students that they would not be able to answer the quiz question if they didn't actually read and only looked at SparkNotes. In a previous post, I mentioned how I have been using that method this year with Huck Finn; however, I occasionally slip up. 

Last week, my quiz question on Ch. 16 from Adventures of Huckleberry Finn was something along the lines of, "What was the bad luck in Ch. 16?" I knew that SparkNotes gave the students one answer, but the real answer was that Huck and Jim missed Cairo and the Ohio River. Even though I had resolved to not accept the SparkNotes answer, I didn't stick to my guns in 1st period. Why? I don't know. But I definitely kicked myself for it when 2nd period rolled around, especially when I heard students talking about how they had just read SparkNotes. When I overheard this, I mentioned to the class that that answer was only worth partial credit. I saw the kids look at each other because they knew they'd been caught, but I also knew that this wouldn't deter them from doing the same thing in the future. I needed to think of something.

Then it hit me. I could use SparkNotes as the quiz itself in order to force my students to read. In other words, I decided to copy the summary from SparkNotes and then asked my students to tell me something that happened in the chapter that was not included in the SparkNotes summary. Why had I not thought of this sooner?!?

The next day was Thursday. I had to be out on Friday for professional development, so I told my students that there would not be a reading quiz until Monday. I warned them that they would not be able to answer the question if they only read SparkNotes. Some of them looked at me in disbelief, but I reiterated my point; in fact, I told them I could guarantee that they wouldn't be able to answer the question if they only read SparkNotes. 

When Monday of this week rolled around, I was ready. As soon as my students walked in the door, I passed out their quiz. They looked at it, and some of them laughed nervously because they hadn't taken my warning seriously. That day, I had 5 kids in 1st period and 6 kids in 2nd period who failed. I continued to give the same type of quiz every day this week. By the end of the week, I only had 1 or 2 students in each class who failed. (The kids who fail still have to read and write the 1-page summary, due by the end of the period, just like I mentioned in a previous post.) I knew I'd won when one of my worst SparkNotes offenders asked, "Are you going to do this all the time now?" "Yep." "Oh..."

Have I succeeded in getting my students to read? For the most part, yes. I am sure that some of them are still finding ways around actually reading and are perhaps just memorizing random facts from the chapters assigned. However, the thing that I love about this method is that it forces everyone to read a summary of what they read the night before at the beginning of class. This means that everyone - even the kids who didn't  really do the reading - are now at least somewhat prepared to participate in a discussion on the book. It helps the students review the important points of the chapter(s) and serves as a jumping-off point for the following activity.
-------
Ease of use: This is the easiest quiz you can imagine! If you can copy + paste, then you can do this. 
Would I use this again: Yes. I am going to do this forever. I love this. Okay. Maybe not forever, but I will do this for as long as it seems to be working... or perhaps until I don't need to do it anymore because my students are finally actually reading...
Downsides: As I mentioned above, I'm sure some students are still figuring out ways around reading, but as of right now, this is the best weapon I have. Also, and this is kind of silly, but I was used to just telling students to take out a half-sheet of paper and writing the daily quiz question on the board; now, I have to remember to make copies in advance, which is not always easy for me to do...
Applications: Reading quizzes on any novel that has summaries written on SparkNotes (or shmoop or any other online forum, for that matter). 

No comments:

Post a Comment