Saturday, January 17, 2015

Week 11: A Paperless Week with Google Classroom and Google Drive

This week, I was extremely thankful for technology, because, due to unforeseen circumstances which lead me to being in and out of doctor's offices every day either before or after school (a story worthy of its own blog entirely), I had very little time outside of class to do very much planning and absolutely no time to submit papers for copies. Luckily, my 11th graders were wrapping up the project on the different American literary movements that they started last week. I had already planned on having them share their presentations digitally with each other, as opposed to giving a live presentation to the class, but I knew that I needed to create something in order to hold them accountable. The projects were due on Tuesday, so on Monday, I began making a note-taking guide that the students would fill out as they went through each presentation. I created a chart with rows for each of the movements and columns with the questions I wanted the students to answer. With the requirements for the project open in another window, I began creating the questions. Those requirements were:

  • The name of your literary movement (5 pts)
  • The dates of your literary movement (5 pts)
  • Any important historical events that influenced your literary movement and an explanation of how they influenced your literary movement (10 pts)
  • The defining characteristics of your literary movement (10 pts)
  • The names and brief biographies of the most important and well-known American authors of your literary movement (10 pts)
  • An example of at least one text (a poem, short story, or excerpt from a longer text) from your movement, with annotations pointing out the characteristics of the literary movement (20 pts)
  • Pictures and/or any other relevant information (10 pts)
    • Ex. Artists and musicians who were also part of the movement; pictures and paintings that represent the movement; texts we’ve read in this class (or you’ve read in other classes) that are part of the movement; etc.
  • In-text citations for anything you quote or summarize (15 pts)
  • A works cited at the end including every website you referenced while conducting your research (15 pts)


My questions started out quite basic:
  • When did this movement take place?
  • What is one historical event that influenced this movement?
  • Who is one famous author from the time period?
I stopped there. I wasn't happy. Essentially, I was just asking my students to copy down information, but I wanted them to think. So I did a little thinking of my own, and then went back to work. I wound up with this note-taking guide, including these questions:
  • When did this movement take place?
  • What is one historical event that influenced this movement? How/why did it influence this movement?
  • Which of the famous authors from this time period stands out the most to you? Why?
  • How is the literature from this movement either similar or different from the literature in your movement?
In creating these new questions, I ensured that my students would be forced to actually think about the information they were reading because the questions cover all steps of Bloom's taxonomy. Here's how:
  • When did this movement take place? 
    • This is level 1 on Bloom's taxonomy, "Knowledge," because the students simply have to find the information the the presentation and copy it down. They aren't doing anything with it.
      • Why include a question like this at all? Some teachers like to just jump into the higher-level thinking, but I like to guide my students there. I usually find that by starting with an "easy" question and gradually building the difficulty, the students are more likely to complete an assignment. If I just immediately started with a "hard" question, some of the students would just give up and not bother doing the assignment at all.
  • What is one historical event that influenced this movement? How/why did it influence this movement? 
    • This is level 2 on Bloom's taxonomy, "Comprehension," because the students should be able to find all of this information in the presentations, but they need to understand it in order to complete the box in the note-taking guide.
  • Which of the famous authors from this time period stands out the most to you? Why? 
    • The first part of this question is level 3, "Analysis," because the students are reading through the information and analyzing the information and determining which author stands out the most. The second part of the question - the "Why?" - is level 5, "Evaluation," because students are being asked to explain and support their opinion.
  • How is the literature from this movement either similar or different from the literature in your movement? 
    • This question is level 4, "Synthesis," because students are asked to either compare or contrast two of the movements.
The point is that I created a basic graphic organizer which asks the students to do more than just copy down information. A lot of time handouts and worksheets get a bad rap because some teachers argue that they are all just "kill and drill" and don't require students to think at all. However, it really depends on what the worksheet is asking the students to do. Could I have made this worksheet completely pointless and mind-numbing for my students? Yes, and I almost did. But instead, I created a worksheet that forced the students to think on multiple levels multiple times. (Was it still mind-numbing for some of my students? Probably, but not in the same way.)

Now, I know what you're thinking. "You said this was a paperless week! Why are you making worksheets???" I made this worksheet because I wanted to take advantage of a particular feature in Google Classroom which automatically creates a new copy for each student who opens the document and links it back to classroom. This allows the students to start typing immediately in the document, without having to "Make a copy," AND it puts a "Turn in" button in the top right-hand corner of their document, right next to where it says "Comments" and "Share." All the students have to do is type in the information and then click "Turn in" - they don't have to worry about changing the sharing options, getting the shareable link, or anything like that. For students who don't always remember to do all the steps involved with sharing a document with their teacher, this is wonderful! Also, once the students turn in the assignment, it becomes "view only" on their end, meaning they can't make changes after submitting the assignment. In the past with Google Docs, I always wondered when the students would figure out that they didn't really have to be done with an assignment before they turned it in since they were always able to go in and edit it after sending me the link or turning it in through Edmodo; now, they don't have that option.

The students finished reviewing the other groups' projects on Wednesday. On Thursday, I introduced www.turnitin.com to my English 11 classes, since I hadn't done so yet, and I had my students write a one-paragraph comparison of their literary movement to one of the other movements of their choice. I had already planned on doing this, which was the reason for the last question on my note-taking guide; I am a big believer in backward-mapping. The reason I had already planned on having them write this one paragraph was because I know that we are going to start a unit on The Awakening in the next week or two, and at the end of The Awakening, I like to have my students write a comparative analysis on the novel and either the short story "The Feather Pillow" by Horacio Quiroga or "Richard Cory" by Edwin Arlington Robinson. (On a total side-note: another reason why I love Google - because I just accidentally closed this tab, and when I opened it back up, Blogger had automatically saved my work. Love.) Why do I have my students write a comparative analysis? Common Core doesn't say our students should be writing comparative analyses! Well... as I pointed out earlier, asking students to compare and contrast is asking them to think critically about more than one subject. It helps students make connections... (Hmmm... I'm getting an idea for something new... you can expect to read about it in probably about a month or two...) Plus, the essays my students turn out on these topics are usually really good! I don't know... there's something about a person who has everything and yet has nothing at the same time that they can connect to and are drawn to. Or they just wind up really hating Edna and like to tell me why.

Anyway, after the writing on Thursday, that left me with Friday. We had just wrapped up what we were doing, and I didn't want to start the new unit the Friday right before a holiday weekend; therefore, I decided to take the opportunity to introduce our new reading program. Now, I will be perfectly honest - I had every intention of not going digital on Friday, but, as I mentioned earlier, I found myself planning on Thursday night without any copies ready to go for Friday morning. "No problem..." I thought, "I'll just walk them through the information with a Google Slides presentation..." No. I quickly realized that that was a terrible idea because what student wants to be talked at on the Friday before a holiday weekend (or ever, for that matter)? No. No Google Slides. I knew I could use Peardeck to do whatever I wanted with Google Slides, but I didn't really like that idea for this. Instead, I decided to make a couple of linked forms to present the information.

The first form included a letter I wrote to my students explaining the new program and asked them to check a box stating: "I have read and understand the independent reading assignment." After students completed this form, they were automatically given the link to the next form. However, in between both forms, I asked them to stop while I explained the program in more detail and answered some of their questions.

I developed the program based on the article I shared last week - "Seven ways schools kill the love of reading in kids - and 4 principles to help restore it." Basically, I wanted to encourage my students to read by imposing as few restrictions on them as possible and creating a culture in which independent reading is a thing everyone does and talks about in the classroom.

First, I decided that I could not tell my students they had to read for a certain amount of time or read a certain number of pages every day. As Alfie Kohn explains, when teachers do this, students will often set a timer, read for that much time, and then stop. Furthermore, when I started thinking about it, if I am able to help my students find books that they really want to read, I don't think there is any way that they can only read for 5 minutes a night; anyone who has ever found a really good book knows that this is true.

Instead of telling my students how much to read, I simply told them that I want them to read every night. Am I going to hold them strictly accountable to this? No, because that, again, would make the reading seem like a chore. Therefore, I developed a reading log that I am going to let my students use as they best see fit - they can fill it out daily or weekly - and I will check for a parent signature at the end of each week. Will my students be able to "fake it?" Yes. I'm sure they will, which is why I am not the only one who is going to be holding them accountable.

As I mentioned, I will involve their parents. I am going to send a letter home next week informing parents of the new program. Also, I am going to have students meet with a partner every Friday to discuss what they've been reading. (The purpose of the second form was for students to tell me who they want to work with and what types of books they enjoy reading.) On Fridays, a few students will also share out with the entire class. I told students that they will be able to share with the class on a voluntary basis, but I expect each person in the class to volunteer at least once throughout the semester. Furthermore, I told them that I will be participating in the program with them, because, as a teacher, I often get so involved in my work that I don't make time for my own reading (unless you count reading One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish to a 2-year-old a million times a day); just as they will, I will share with them what I'm reading and why I'm excited about it. I am hoping that by including these opportunities to talk about what we're reading, that the students who aren't as enthusiastic about the program will start to get hooked and drawn in by the other students. We will see. As I wrote at the end of the letter to the kids, "This could be the most awesome thing we do all year, but it could also be a horrible, terrible, failure. It is really all up to you. Please make it awesome."



No comments:

Post a Comment